Below is a list of articles published in peer-reviewed journals, other publications (including book chapters) and an overview of work-in-progress. My academic CV is available here and you can also check out my profile on RePEc, ORCID and Google Scholar.
- “Credit Conditions and the Housing Price Ratio: Evidence from the Irish boom and bust“. Journal of Housing Economics (2018). Final working paper (substantially updated compared to Trinity Economic Papers tep0717).
- “The impact of employment on housing prices: detailed evidence from FDI in Ireland“, with Kerri Agnew. Regional Science and Urban Economics (2018), 70. pp. 174-189. Final working paper.
- “The price effect of building energy ratings in the Dublin residential market“, with Sarah Stanley and Sean Lyons. Energy Efficiency (2016) 9:4. pp. 875-885. Working paper version.
- “East, west, boom and bust: the spread of house prices and rents in Ireland, 2007–2012,” Journal of Property Research (2015), 32:1 pp. 77-101.
- “A monthly stock exchange index for Ireland, 1864–1930,” with Richard S. Grossman, Kevin H. O’Rourke, and Madalina A. Ursu. European Review of Economic History (2014) 18:3, pp. 248-276.
- “The value of domestic building energy efficiency – evidence from Ireland,” with Marie Hyland and Seán Lyons. Energy Economics (2013), 40:C pp. 943-952.
Other publication, including book chapters
- “Housing Market: Supply, Pricing and Servicing Issues”. In John O’Hagan and Francis O’Toole (eds), The Economy of Ireland – Policy & Performance (13th edition). London: Palgrave MacMillan, 2017. Draft version here.
- “Housing and Austerity: A Two-Way Street”. In Emma Heffernan, John McHale and Dr Niamh Moore-Cherry (eds), Debating Austerity in Ireland. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 2017. Draft version here.
- “Housing supply in Ireland since 1990: The role of costs and regulation,” Journal of the Statistical and Social Inquiry Statistical Society of Ireland (2015) 44: pp. 141-155. Paper based on lecture given as 126th winner of the Barrington Medal.
- “The spread of rents in Ireland, over time and space,” in Lorcan Sirr (ed), Renting in Ireland. Dublin: Institute of Public Administration, 2014. Draft version here.
- “Inside a Bubble and Crash – Evidence from the Valuation of Amenities”, in Morten Balling (ed), Property Prices and Real Estate Financing in a Turbulent World. Vienna: SUERF/Austrian National Bank, 2013. Working paper version here.
- “The real value of house prices: what the cost of accommodation can tell policymakers,” Journal of the Statistical and Social Inquiry Statistical Society of Ireland (2012), 41 pp. 71-91.
- Next Generation Ireland, with Edward Burke (editors), Dublin: Blackhall Press (now Orpen Press), 2011.
- “Towards Perfect Information: The Case of the Housing Market”, in Stephen Kinsella & Anthony Leddin (eds.), Understanding Ireland’s Economic Crisis: Prospects for Recovery. Dublin: Blackhall Press (now Orpen Press), 2010.
- “Flood risk and house prices in Ireland”, with Francesco Pilla and Salem Gharbia. Revise & Resubmit.
- “Picture or Playground: Valuing Coastal Amenities“, with Tom Gillespie and Stephen Hynes. Trinity Economic Papers tep0518, May 2018. Under review. Sample media coverage: Irish Times, thejournal.ie, Irish Examiner, World Property Journal.
- “The Silent Treatment: LGBT Discrimination in the Sharing Economy“, with Rishi Ahuja. Trinity Economic Papers tep1917, August 2017. Under review. Sample media coverage: Irish Examiner, Irish Times, Newstalk, The Times, and GCN.
- “Price Signals and Bid-Ask Spreads in an Illiquid Market: The Case of Residential Property in Ireland, 2006-2011“, Trinity Economic Papers tep0613, December 2013. Under review.
- “Forgotten Booms and Busts: New Sale and Rental Price Indices for US Housing, 1890-1990”. Presented at NBER Summer Institute (DAE) 2018 [submitted abstract] and at WEHC 2018.
- “Long-run patterns and shifts in wealth – Insights from Irish equities since 1825”. Joint with Richard S. Grossman, Masami Imai (both Wesleyan), & Kevin H. O’Rourke (Oxford). Presented at EHS 2015 and WEHC 2018.
- “Insights into urbanization from a century of Dublin housing prices”, with Richard Keely. Presented at EHA 2015 & AREUEA-ASSA 2018.
- “The Housing Price ratio over the long run”, with Richard Keely.
- “Build It & They Will Leave? The Impact of Rail on Irish Population”. Joint with Alan Fernihough (QUB)
- “Paying for free education: The relationship between house prices and schools in Ireland”. Joint with Brian Higgins (Stanford). Sample media coverage here, here and here.
- The Great Depression, the Anglo-Irish Trade War and Irish Agricultural Outcomes. Joint with Tara Mitchell (TCD).